Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Anxiety Anyone?

Quote: "It is perfectly okay to write garbage - as long as you edit brilliantly." -C.J. Cherryh

The following was taken from The Courage to Write by Ralph Keyes.
It is a must read for anyone who is trying to survive life as a writer.

Here is what Ralph has learned after writing eight books:

"Along the way, I've learned three things. One is that I'll survive; finish the book and live to write another. Second, I'll regain my sanity (such as it is). Finally, I've learned that a rising tide of anxiety isn't necessarily bad. It's a sign that I'm getting serious. Nervousness keeps me alert. Fear forces me to focus and to work longer hours. Restless nights mean I'm gaining momentum. The end is in sight. Getting there isn't always pleasant. Neither is running in a marathon. Or staging a play. or climbing a mountain. All such activities take courage."

"Finding the courage to write does not involve erasing or 'conquering' one's fears. Working writers aren't those who have eliminated their anxiety. They are the ones who keep scribbling while their heart races and their stomach churns, and who mail manuscripts with trembling fingers."

No comments: